- Frequently indulging in small pleasures: take a bath, read a few pages of a funny book, take a walk in relaxing surroundings, etc.
- Know your own limits: we must admit to ourselves that perfection does not exist; stop trying to do everything and remind yourself of the resources and time you have.
- Try not to change too many things all at once. Wanting to change our habits or attitude all at the same time creates stress. The advice is to choose one thing you want to work on and prioritize your efforts. Center your energies on it and reward yourself for the efforts given to reach your goal.
- Maintain balance between your work and leisure time. Do not let work invade your life. You must take time to relax or for a hobby that will bring you relaxation.Some people “find calm after the storm”, by knitting and others by listening to music or practicing their favorite sport.
- Free time is often overlooked; their values and importance under-estimated. To get back in touch with one’s inner self, we must relax. There are a few techniques: meditation, yoga, visualization, etc. The most important thing is to find an activity that is compatible to your temperament and life style.
- To rest and get enough sleep and having good sleeping habits are essential. The required hours to feel rested vary from one person to another. Listen to your own needs! If you feel tired when you wake up, it can be beneficial to increase the hours of sleep and keep a certain balance between your activity time and resting time. Allow yourself time to decompress between work and sleep. If not the hours of sleep are not as refreshing.
Stress will eat up your vitamins and mineral salts, and to be able to resist more efficiently and to make up for this deficiency, you need to keep a well balance diet.
- Tobacco, alcohol
- Concentrated sugars, chocolate
- Tea, coffee
- Quantities of salt
A physical activity adapted to your likings, to your lifestyle and practiced on regular basis, will help relieve tension. This will also help in solving problems in a calmer fashion. Also, exercising is a good way to reduce your glucose and cholesterol levels.
Control irrational thoughts
The perception that we have of ourselves and of the reality is greatly responsible for unpleasant emotions. A way to examine our thoughts is by asking ourselves questions. It is one way to correct them when they are unfounded or at least have doubts of their truthfulness.
For example: What proof do I have that this thought is true? What can I rely on to think like that? What proof do I have?
Taking a step back on an event, to leave a bad situation alone for a while, helps get a better grip on it. That does not mean to run away from it, but just to allow us time before acting on it. By stepping back, we can see things from another angle. Have a support system. Be with people you love, on a regular basis.
Even if we cannot get rid of life’s stress, we can be conscious of our excessive behavior and try to correct it. In that case to have a good sense of ourselves is fundamental. It is important to take time to look at the way we live and to modify what does not work and at the same time being careful not to create frustrations or pressures.